Sleep Apnea in Modesto, CA
Snoring isn’t always a sign of something worse but is something that should be looked into. When combined with other symptoms, snoring can be a sign of sleep apnea. Sleep apnea can be treated and you and others around you will be able to sleep peacefully once again.
What is Sleep Apnea?
Sleep apnea is a sleep disorder that is associated with stops and pauses in the breath while sleeping. This is a serious disorder and can cause future issues, such as hypertension, stroke, heart failure, or heart attacks.
There are two types of sleep apnea that may affect you. They are:
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea- This is the more common of the two types. This occurs when the airway is blocked and the muscles in the airway have to work harder to try and get airflow to the body. This can interrupt your sleep and cause heart rhythm irregularities.
- Central Sleep Apnea- This is when the airway isn’t blocked, but the brain fails in signaling the muscles to breathe. This type is more related to the function of the central nervous system.
Sleep apnea can occur in anyone, but there are people that are more at risk for suffering from the disorder. Sleep apnea can particularly occur in those that are over fifty or are overweight.
What Are Symptoms of Sleep Apnea?
There are some common symptoms that you or others around you should be aware of. Some common symptoms include:
- Pauses in the breath while sleeping
- Daytime fatigue
- Restlessness while sleeping
- Dry or sore throat when waking up
- Trouble concentrating and focusing
- Frequent urination at night
- Increased feeling of depression or anxiety
Contact Your Doctor Today!
Sleep apnea is a fairly dangerous disorder that should be treated immediately so that it doesn’t develop into something worse. Contact Dr. Nicholas Poblete in Modesto, CA, at (209) 521-6822 to learn more about sleep apnea and if it may be affecting you.